Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Race to the Oscars: The Snubs and Surprises

Okay okay. Every one's doing this, but I am at an entirely different viewpoint than others. This is the second year of the new century that the Academy has opened the window of Best Motion Picture to 10 films and most of them are films that should well be recognized. Unfortunately, as I write this, I've only seen 8 of the nominated 10 Best Pictures (127 Hours and The King's Speech are the remainders) so I cannot fully disclose my opinion without having seen the films firsthand.

As far as Best Picture is concerned, most of the films nominated justified their buzz. Yet I'm amazed and appalled about Winter's Bone snagging a nom. I guess there has to be a rotten egg in the bunch every year. Last year, it was An Education . This year, Winter's Bone . My vote would have been The Town .

I haven't seen Blue Valentine yet, but there are several who think that Ryan Gosling was gypped out of a second nomination in the Best Actor category. I get a little frustrated each year when a foreign film manages to sneak in an acting nomination. I am talking of Javier Bardem's nomination for Biutiful. It is not that I dislike Bardem (I thought he was the only good part of No Country For Old Men), but with all of the great acting the American films this year, Bardem must've done a damn good job to get his nomination.

Most of the Best Actress nominations were deserved, but I'm confused as to why Hailee Steinfeld from True Grit is not nominated in this category but Supporting Actress? Her character was in every scene of that film. Perhaps the Academy thought that a nomination in Best Actress might have upstaged Jeff Bridges for his nomination in the Best Actor category.

Christian Bale is a lock for The Fighter and if he loses it better not go to John Hawkes for Winter's Bone.

For the Best Supporting Actress category, some might say that Mila Kunis was robbed of a nomination for her performance in Black Swan, but the focus was on Natalie Portman, so Mila Kunis didn't have a lot to give. Melissa Leo is a lock for picking up the award for The Fighter. Animal Kingdom's Jackie Weaver is another example of a foreign film (it's Australian) grabbing a nomination for one of its actors.

I predicted that Christopher Nolan would not get nominated for a directing award for Inception though I'm glad it was recognized for several behind-the-camera awards. It may not come close in votes for winning the award for Best Original Screenplay (my vote is for The King's Speech, even though I haven't seen it. The race for Best Director is between David Fincher for The Social Network and Tom Hooper for The King's Speech though, again, I haven't seen it.

Aaron Sorkin is a lock to win Best Adapted Screenplay for The Social Network and if he loses it better go to Toy Story 3.

As far as the minor awards go, the biggest snub has to go to Daft Punk for not getting nominated for their awesome electric score for Tron: Legacy. Come on, Academy, you just nominated the lead singer for Nine Inch Nails, you couldn't nominate an electronica band in the same category?

Best Make-Up every year is a joke, with the three nominees getting the only nominations in this category for their films.

French animated film The Illusionist managed to beat out great American-made animated films like Tangled and Despicable Me. But it seems to happen every year with at least one foreign film being added to the ever-so-small Best Animated Feature category. Toy Story 3 is a lock.

Enjoy the movies everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment