Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Getting Started

As this is my first entry for an entirely new blog, I feel the need to say something ground-breaking and memorable here, but I guess this will have to do: I love movies!

And so do several others, as evidenced by the fact that there are countless amounts of reviews out there just waiting to be read. Some reviews exalt the film in question, others urge you to not touch it with a ten-foot pole. So I've decided to add myself to the growing number of critics, who have spent many sleepless nights supporting the fact that the film they have just watched either sucks or rocks. Or somewhere in between.

I've been a writer for as long as I can remember and for the life of me, I've never so much publicly published an official copy of my work. What you're reading now is what I believe my first outing as an amateur writer. That's not to say I'm just beginning. I'll show you notebooks and folders full of story ideas, screenplay dialogues, and character arcs. But what you'll read here is something that I've decided to whole-heartedly pursue: movie criticism. As far as I know, I don't need a degree to tell you my opinion, but I do hope that you'll treat this blog as another website you, as a fellow movie lover, surf regularly.

This blog is also committing me to continue writing on a regular basis and put my work up for criticism itself. My reviews are, of course, my own opinion and you should in no way take them for what they are. Feel free to leave your comments on my reviews or thoughts on films that I will periodically post. I don't expect you to agree with what I write, but if you're reading this (or continue to) I know you're at least considering my thoughts about films.

To end this first entry in this newfound criticism blog, let me tell you what you can look for in future posts. You will, of course, see film reviews, hopefully on a consistent basis. I have a few articles in mind about the Oscars and my thoughts on nominees as I hurriedly try to catch up before the winners are announced. I also had a Most Disappointing List of 2009 I had mentally written, so look for that to make its way to print in the coming weeks. Next month I'd like to start a post entitled "Bond: 22 Movies in 30 Days." That's just like me, isn't it?

Well, I hope I've grabbed your attention with this first blog entry. I'll leave it to you to decide whether or not this is a blog worth reading. I know if I keep writing it, though, people will read it and that alone makes it worthwhile.

Enjoy the movies everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment